What items are prohibited?
Many laws, regulations and policies, in a variety of jurisdictions, regulate the goods and services that may be bought and sold. For your convenience, we have prepared a list of some of the types of prohibited and restricted items the advertisement for sale of which is not permitted on AWAX.
AWAX users remain responsible for complying with all applicable laws, regulations or restrictions on items, services, or manner of sale, payment or exchange, that may apply to transactions in which they participate -- including but not limited to those imposed by the state of Washington, where the AWAX service physically resides. We encourage you to research the applicable laws and regulations that may apply to your transaction.
Partial list of items for sale and services the advertisement of which is not permitted on AWAX:
- Fake, imitation, or knock off items.
- Wholesale and distributor lists.
- Adult content of any kind/obscene material/child pornography/adult 'toys'. If you wouldn't want an eight year old looking at it, it is best to sell it elsewhere.
- All lingerie pictures must be on mannequins (it's too difficult for us to enforce what is and isn't too racy otherwise)
- Nude photos of any sort.
- Offer or solicitation of illegal prostitution.
- Weapons and related items, including but not limited to firearms, disguised, undetectable or switchblade knives, pocket knives, martial arts weapons, scopes, silencers, crossbows, spear guns, ammunition, ammunition magazines, BB guns, tear gas, pepper spray or stun guns.
- Items issued to United States Armed Forces that have not been disposed of in accordance with Department of Defense demilitarization policies.
- Fireworks, including but not limited to "safe and sane" fireworks or any destructive devices or explosives.
- Controlled substances or illegal drugs, substances and items used to manufacture controlled substances and drug paraphernalia.
- Alcohol, tobacco or nicotine products.
- Kratom or any variation.
- Prescription drugs and medical devices, including but not limited to prescription or contact lenses, defibrillators, hypodermic needles or hearing aids.
- Nonprescription drugs that make false or misleading treatment claims or treatment claims that require FDA approval. Nonprescription drugs must be labeled in English, or dual-language including English and a foreign language, per CDC requirements.
- Expired products or products that have been recalled for any reason.
- Blood, body parts or bodily fluids, including synthetic urine.
- Household pets of any kind including but not limited to dogs, cats, primates, cage birds, rodents, reptiles, amphibians, fish. Re-homing with small adoption fee OK
- Pet animal parts, blood, or fluids - including but not limited to stud/breeding service
- Drugs and medical devices for pets which require a veterinary prescription
- Restricted or regulated plants and insects, including but not limited to noxious weeds, endangered plant species, or live insects or pests.
- Pesticides or hazardous substances, or items containing hazardous substances including but not limited to contaminated toys, or art or craft material containing toxic substances without a warning label. All pesticides sold and distributed in the United States MUST be registered with the EPA.
- Illegal telecommunications equipment, including but not limited to access cards, password sniffers, access card programmers and unloopers, or cable descramblers
- Stolen property, or property with serial number removed or altered.
- Burglary tools, including but not limited to lock-picks or motor vehicle master keys
- False identification cards, items with police insignia, citizenship documents, or birth certificates.
- Counterfeit currency, coins and stamps, tickets, as well as equipment designed to make them.
- Items that promote or glorify hatred, violence, racial, sexual, or religious intolerance, or promote organizations with such views. We'll also remove listings that graphically portray graphic violence or victims of violence, unless they have substantial social, artistic, or political value.
- Material that infringes Copyright and Intellectual Property, including but not limited to software or other digital goods you are not authorized to sell, warez, bootlegs (without consent of the brand).
- Airline tickets that restrict transfer, and tickets of any kind which you are not authorized to sell.
- Coupons or gift cards that restrict transfer, and coupons or gift cards which you are not authorized to sell.
- Gambling items, including but not limited to lottery tickets, sports trading card 'grab bags', raffle tickets, sweepstakes entries or slot machines.
- Used or rebuilt batteries, or batteries containing mercury.
- Used bedding and clothing, unless sanitized in accordance with law.
- Non-packaged food items or adulterated food.
- Used cosmetics, makeup sponges or applicators. Cosmetics, colognes, perfumes, lotions which do not come in the original container.
- Bulk email or mailing lists that contain names, addresses, phone numbers, or other personal identifying information
The following links may be helpful in researching whether a particular transaction is prohibited or regulated:
- Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
- Bureau of Industry and Security's Denied Persons List
- California Department of Food and Agriculture Plant Health and Pest Prevention Services Division
- California Health and Safety Code
- California Penal Code
- Consumer Product Safety Commission Recalled Item List
- Copyright Office
- Drug Enforcement Administration
- Federal Laws and Regulations
- Food and Drug Administration
- Fish and Wildlife Service
- National Plant Board
- National Stolen Art File
- Office of Foreign Assets Control
- Patent and Trademark Office